Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's Official-I am old

I learned to type on a typewriter. Therefore, I learned to place two spaces after a period. I just did it. I just did it again. I have been trained; I can't change. BUT you can.

Here is the MLA rule: ONE space after a period is all that is required; two is fine but not necessary.
If you would like to read more, I have created the above sentence as a link.

Yep, I'm old. I still remember my typewriter class in the basement of my school. It was so fun!

2 comments:

  1. You can do this, cuz! I know you can. You have to! I have been trying to educate my company staff on this for years and funny thing is, next week this very topic will appear in our newsletter.
    I love Grammar Girl! Can't get enough of her podcast and I've even started a "grammar and style" segment for our staff newsletter with fun tidbits like this to improve everyone's writing and to help with consistency. (I should send you the piece on double vs. single quotations - it was a doozy...).
    Did you know she's coming to the UofM, May 6. Please go for me!
    (I should've been an English teacher, too, shouldn't I?)
    Miss you! - cuz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cuz. Sure was news to me about the one space dealeo! I would love to make plans for the May 6 Grammar Girl visit. I'll look for the info. How about coming for a visit?!? The snow should be gone by then. :-)

    ReplyDelete