Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I keep forgetting the power of the one


A new game was under the Christmas tree this year-Stratego. Over the last two weeks, my flag has been captured repeatedly. My weakness is clear: I keep forgetting the power of the one. The game is pretty straightforward. Any number higher than the one it challenges wins. An eight kicks a seven off the board, a six any number lower, and so on. Except the one! The one will get taken by a two and above, but it has a particular strength. If you know the number of the opponent's piece, all the one has to do is call the right number, and it wins. It kicks any higher number off the board.

A couple days ago my "one" piece sat in front of my opponent's flag for at least 25 moves. I let it just sit there thinking it was too weak to challenge anything. It was only a one. Finally, I remembered its hidden power. I challenged the flag and won!

I keep thinking about my failure to remember the one. How often in life do I forget the hidden value of prayer? I have the chance to talk with God, the creator of the universe, my Lord, my Savior, the Alpha and the Omega. And then I just forget! Really?

Today I started my day with a prayer. I remembered the power of the One and only Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment