Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sometimes



This is day number two of watching a tenacious Robin outside my kitchen window grab, pull, yank dried leaves from the garden.  She gets a beak-full of about 10 strands before she flies away.  I haven't timed how long she is gone, but it seems only minutes before she returns and begins gathering her homemaking tools again.  

I just received sad news from a friend that her beloved 3-year-old golden doodle is sick with cancer.  They will have to make a hard decision soon.  And a student, Diane, just put down her 16 year-old dog.  She was two when they got her as a puppy.  

Two best friends eat lunch together every day in the library.  Everyday.  Today the order was two sandwiches and a coke; yesterday, it was one sandwich each and a bottle of water.  This ritual takes place everyday all year; I just noticed it yesterday.  

Tomorrow I leave to see my dearest friend in Seattle.  I get to board a plane and in 3 hours I am in a new place and different home.  I know it will be filled with laughter, reminiscing, long discussions, and a sad goodbye.

Sometimes we work hard to build our lives; sometimes what we have put our hope and our love into suddenly disappears; sometimes we get the blessing of spending every lunch hour with a dear friend; and sometimes we are lucky enough just to have a dear friend even if she is thousands of miles away.  Sometimes we miss what is right in front of us until we simply stop to take notice.  Spring beckons us to find the joy in what is new.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Myers-
    I've been here a month, and today, I was compelled to finally comment this blog post. I can honestly say that I miss Minnehaha Academy for only two reasons. First off, I truly miss your English class...I miss our conversations after classand I miss sitting in your windowsill.
    Secondly, I miss the scenario you described above: eating lunch every single day, and buying my best friend her lunch. Did you know she used to throw her extra slice of turkey at me every single day? I miss her...will you please make sure she's doing alright? Thank you :)
    Also, your last paragraph is amazing...I never realized what a blessing it truly was to be able to eat lunch every single day with her. I mean yes, I enjoyed it, but it's said that you don't really recognize how important something really is to you until it's gone. I'm at that realization right now, and it hurts.
    You are so right in saying we are lucky enough to have a dear friend even if she is thousands of miles away...
    I really have come to appreciate your blog posts.
    Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete