Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Is it better to think about it than write about it then?

Just a quick blog about the difference between then and than.  I am convinced this homonym lesson was stricken from the text books after 1985, so it is no fault of students that they do not know the word THAN exists.  For a few years now I have been noticing the complete and absolute lack of the use of THAN.  So here goes:
Then is a time
Than is a comparison

Finish your paper and then celebrate!  (When should I celebrate?  THEN!)  Then= Time

Is 11th grade English harder than 12th grade English?  (I don't know how to answer the question.  You tell me.)
Than=Comparing 11th to 12th

Need a good laugh?  Check out the video I attached.  Notice they incorrectly compare the dog to the cat.  It should read:  Is the cat better THAN the dog?  By the way: the DOG is way better THAN a cat!!

2 comments:

  1. It is nice to know that my daughter is smarter than her father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a chance, Dad. It's just that I have kids teaching me all day long!

    ReplyDelete